Welcome to the Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania,
The United Republic of Tanzania was formed by the Union of Tanganyika and Zanzibar in 1964.
Diplomatic relations between Tanzania and Japan were established immediately after the independence in 1961, and since then they have continued to grow stronger and stronger throughout the years.
The Embassy of Japan in Tanzania was opened in 1966 and the Embassy of Tanzania in Japan was opened in 1970.
Since Independence Tanzania has had five smooth democratic transition of power, the last one being in November 2015, it can really be considered to be a beacon of peace and democracy in the African Region.
Tanzania is a country endowed with worldwide renowned tourist attractions i.e. Mount Kilimanjaro, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Selous Game Reserve, the historic ruins of Bagamoyo and Kilwa and the beautiful Spice Islands of Zanzibar with its famous pristine beaches. And last but not least the home of the Kiswahili language.
Economically Tanzania is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Over last decade we have experienced an average of 7% GDP growth mostly due from our vast natural resource wealth and tourism. Recent discoveries of natural gas on land and offshore also discoveries of helium gas have made Tanzania one of the most vibrant economies in the region.
The Embassy’s Mission:
The Mission has the responsibility of maintaining and further strengthening friendly relations which happily exist between the governments and the people of Tanzania and Japan as well as pursuing deeper bilateral and multilateral cooperation for mutual benefit.
The Embassy is also accredited to the Republic of Korea, Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea and the Mission provides consular services to Tanzanian nationals living in the area of our accreditation.
The Embassy strives to promote investments, trade, tourism and other fields in a manner that would enhance Tanzania’s prosperity.
The Embassy’s responsibilities include:
- Maintenance, promotion and expansion of good political relations between Tanzania and Japan as well as within the area of accreditation
- Promotion and defense of the political and economic interests of Tanzania in Japan and in the area of accreditation
- Promotion and defense of the interests of Tanzanian citizens in Japan and in the area of accreditation
- Visa issuance
- Dissemination of information and advice to people visiting Tanzania
- Renewal and/or replacement of passports for Tanzanian citizens
- Issuance of Emergency Travel Documents (ETD) for Tanzania citizens in distress
- Providing advisory services to Tanzanian citizens
- Official documents authentication services
- Notary Public for Tanzanian citizens
- Solemnization of marriage for Tanzanian citizens
- Promotion of economic diplomacy
- Promotion of investments in Tanzania
- Promotion of tourism to Tanzania
- Facilitating co-operation between NGOs in Tanzania and NGOs in the area of accreditation
- Promoting cultural exchanges between Tanzania and other countries in the area of accreditation
- Educational and Scientific cooperation
Welcome to Tanzania the “Soul of Africa”
Mathias M. Chikawe